Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lab A Part 2



Friday's class was greatly anticipated. Before re-doing my Lab A, I started class out with an Instant Activity with a game called "Kitchen Ball." It is just a simple relay race with 2 teams with each player passing a ball through their legs. For my Lab A2, I wanted to improve on my lesson from the first day of class. The first time I did a lesson on bounce passing a chest passing a basketball. It was the first thing that came to mind. For this time, I knew exactly what I wanted to do, what I wanted to say, and what drills I wanted to run. However, I wish I had some more time to do more of what I had in mind. At first I had them partner up and just work on passing back and forth to each other, which I feel could be a good Instant Activity for following classes before getting into some drills. I referred back to playing frisbee and being able to pass with a defender, got them moving around a little bit, and being able to throw a bounce or chest pass. "Fake a pass to make a pass" is a good quote to keep inside your head when working on this drill. I then moved to passing to a moving target, and had to pass however they felt comfortable. I also feel that my Protocol/Signal of Attention was decent. I spoke with a loud, clear voice. I used good demonstration of passing both bounce and chest using the tasks of "stepping into your pass," and "pointing your thumbs down on the follow through." Some things I could have worked on were using a hook instead of just getting started in the lesson. I also could have worked on giving individual feedback, but with more time, I think it would be a lot easier to do so. I feel that my closure was done well too. I brought the entire group close together and recapped on the lesson asking them about specific cues. I look forward to learning more and becoming a better teacher.

1 comment: