Monday, December 6, 2010

Ultramarathon Man

If you found Dr. Yang's blog post about "The Fittest Man on the Planet" interesting, you might want to take a look at another athlete.  Dean Karnazes is an Ultra-marathon runner and has run in ridiculous conditions.  He has completed 50 marathons, in 50 days, in all 50 states, ending with the New York City Marathon.  He once ran 200 miles non-stop, and that's not all. If you take a look at his website you can read a lot more information about him and his achievements.  Ultra-marathon man


 This guy has run in temperatures that were so high, his shoes began to melt and his sandwich bread began to toast, and completed a marathon on the North Pole.  When I read his book (which is pictured here), it gave me a completely different outlook on life and exercising. It made me realize that life is too short to just be sitting around and we need to get out there is test our limits.  As a Physical Education teacher, I would like share the knowledge of exercising and movement to kids, and influence them to do extraordinary things.



 I am not a huge fan of running, but I love to hike. Living near Lake George, NY, I have easy access to the Adirondack Mountains and have hiked a few of the Peaks including Mount Marcy, the highest in NYS.  If there is one thing I could do to test the limits of my human body, I would one day like to hike the Appalachian Trail.  I would like to face a challenge to that extent, and cannot even imagine the sights I would come across and the people I would meet.  I encourage all to read about Dean Karnazes--I promise you will have a different outlook on life.  Also, think about something you would like to do to as a Physical Challenge. Maybe you want to run a marathon, or even compete in a triathlon.  There are no limits.


No comments:

Post a Comment