Monday, October 3, 2011

A Successful Adaptive Lesson

For only the third time of the semester, I had my two BOCES students for a Physical Education lesson.  The first two weeks were a bit challenging in the sense that the students have trouble following instructions, and do not like to participate in many activities.  So, I began to think of what else I could do with them to get them to participate.  I thought that maybe getting them out of the gym with the number of other students and teachers might be a decent idea.  Maybe everyone being around may be a bit of a distraction.  I thought that possibly bringing them to the fitness center downstairs would be a change of scenery, equipment and people.

I must say that this was successful in getting them to participate and exercise.  I got my students to ride the stationary bike and elliptical showing them the different controls on each.  I also had them use some of the weight lifting machines to improve muscular strength.  I demonstrated each of the machines as well as explain what each machine worked on and the importance of each muscle group.  I allowed them to increase weight to see where their strength level is at.  I feel students should be introduced to weight lifting at a younger age so they can gain knowledge of muscular strength.

At the end of the lesson, the students were very excited that they were able to workout with the weights. They came back telling their BOCES teacher that they had just got done working out, and talking about muscles.  It was a great thing to hear.  When students get excited about something like this, it makes it so much easier on the teacher when planning the next lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment