Sunday, December 4, 2011

Communicating With Students' Parents

It is very important to communicate with parents as a teacher.  Parents should know what their children are doing in school daily; how they are progressing, how they behave, etc.  For my Adaptive Physical Education class, I was required to write a letter to my student's parents to give them information on what they have done throughout the semester.

Dear Parent/Guardian of Angelo,

            It has been my pleasure working with Angelo this semester.  He has made tremendous progress since we first met back in September.  The first couple of weeks that I had him and his classmate, Trent, they did not seem to be very interested in many sport games, and got bored easily.  I think that they possibly needed a little more time to become comfortable with having a new teacher, which is completely normal for any student.  It also took me a little time to get comfortable in order to figure out what his interests were. 

            The third week that we met is when I had a breakthrough with Angelo.  This is when he told me that he enjoyed riding bikes, and I got the idea to bring him to the Fitness Facility.  At first, I had him riding the stationary bikes and elliptical to work on his cardio endurance.  While we were there, I introduced him to some of the weight machines to help increase his muscular strength and endurance.  He used weight resistance machines rather than free weights because I feel that at his age level, these are appropriate for learning proper form and technique in order to avoid any injuries while still improving results.  These machines included chest press, shoulder press, arm curls, leg curls and leg presses.  Because this was something new to him, he seemed to be interested.  He began asking questions about the equipment, and wanted to try new machines.  When Angelo became interested, it made me interested.  I wanted to show him new workouts.  It makes it a lot easier as a teacher when your students become focused and interested in what you are teaching them.

            Once Angelo had gotten in the routine of going to the Fitness Facility, I set up goals for him; both long term and short term on an Individualized Education Plan.  By the end of the semester, I wanted Angelo to be able to become familiar with all the equipment that we had used.  I wanted him to be able to understand how to adjust weight and be able to keep track of his own progress.  We worked on this by having him recite to me which weight he would start at and count out his repetitions each time.  For example, he would do three sets at each machine for ten, eight, and six repetitions.  Also, by the end of the semester, I wanted Angelo to demonstrate social and personal behavior in all of his classes.  I expected him to respect me as his instructor, as well his classmate.  We worked on this during each lesson by having them keep their hands to themselves and listen to my directions.  As the semester progressed, Angelo’s behavior became better with every lesson.  He began to focus on my directions and respect the fact that I was the teacher and he was the student.   Along with this, his knowledge for the equipment progressed greatly as well.  His goal was to be able to know rules for using the equipment in the Fitness Facility whenever I asked him, but he has been able to do it all on his own.   

            Overall, Angelo was a great kid to work with.  I hope after this semester, he continues to exercise.  I feel as though this is an appropriate age to begin working with this equipment as long as it is appropriate and monitored safely.  I am very happy with his progress, not only with his workouts, but his behavior as well.

Sincerely,
Mr. Ryan Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment